Monday 6 December 2010

The snow, a mystic and a dragon

There is something so magical the first morning of the snow when you look out of the window and everything really looks like a winter wonderland - even in my tropical Notting Hill Gate garden.  It's only when it starts affecting the details of life - cancelled appointments, driving in a blizzard, unable to take the dog out for a walk without freezing off my extremities - that the charm started to wane.


But as always,  it has been an interesting week or so.  A last minute invite to the Women in TV and Film Awards was a trip with the incredibly funny Julie Walters hosting, aided by the never-funny 4 Poofs and a Piano.  She didn't need them - that's for sure.  Lots of bright young women getting and giving awards - the ubiquitous Claudia, Jane Goldman, Beeban Kidran - it's clear to see who runs the TV and Film industry.  It's the first time I've been for years and it has grown to enormous success.  I spent most of lunch speaking to Dragon Theo Phaphitis who did seem really nervous addressing such a powerhouse of women and the charming BBC news presenter Jane Hill - Theo and I are now following each other on Twitter - what a crazy world!


I started my week driving to Nottingham in the blizzards for the local Inspirational Women Lunch where I had committed to speak months ago when requested by Sister Jayanti of the Brahma Kumaris, a woman and a mystic for whom I hold nothing but love and respect.   I did meet some wonderful women there including Nottingham's  Chief Constable  and Susan Johnson, a former prostitute who is now a town councillor and community leader - both of whom have promised to come for a visit to B.Hive in the New Year.  And Sister Jayanti was as inspiring as always.  She reminded us to reflect last thing before sleep on what we have learnt about ourselves during the day which I have been trying out - for good and for bad.

Some good times at B.Hive as always - a visit  from the two Rachels - Ashwell and Johnson - was a highlight of our  Rachel Ashwell breakfast.  plus an afternoon there with  my beloved friend Eve Ensler, now recovered from cancer with her short, adorable cap of hair, speaking to young women leaders about her latest V-Day campaign to encourage action against sexual violence.  A quick nip in also from Jude Kelly, Artistic Director of the South Bank, to meet Eve and have discussions on WOW, her Women of the World project for next International Women's Day in March 8th which I am delighted to be involved with. 



Melissa Choi finished off the afternoon perfectly as our B.Hive Business Woman of the Month with a  tasting of her delicious, healing Choi Time teas that Eve loved so much she is taking some back to New York.

This week is the British Fashion Awards which I modestly claim to have started more than 25 years ago plus some interesting meetings - hopefully without any snow this week but who knows.  Back to the big smoke tomorrow morning from the charm of my country cottage - I hope to see you all soon, love Lynne

1 comment:

  1. How exciting! inspiration all around.. look forward to hearing more, lots of love and keep it coming xx

    ReplyDelete